Tuesday 18 August 2009

Average cost of a horse

I have spent hours working on spread sheets and so on this afternoon to work out how much it will cost to keep a horse on a weekly, monthly and yearly basis. The last time I didn't keep track of how much they cost, but now I have managed to figure out a rough estimate.


This is the cost sheet where I live roughly, insurance can be more than this depending on the value of your horse.

The initial start you will need quite a bit of equipment etc so here is a rough list :

Head Collar
Lead Rope
Feed Bucket
Water Bucket
Feed
Sponges to clean
Hard Brush
Soft Brush
Hoof Pick
Sponges
Shampoo
Main and Tail Conditioner
Curry Comb
Lightweight Rug
Winter Rug
Haynet
Wheel Barrow
Torch
Bridle
Saddle
Numnah
Exercise boots/wraps
Sweat Scraper
Fly Veil

I am so excited to get my own horse and pay for him/her with my own money, this gives me something to aim towards whilst im at University...Instead of going out and drinking a few glasses of wine, I will opt for 1 glass and a glass of water, which saves about £4, every little penny counts when it comes to horses, because as soon as I move down to Cornwall in May from University I will need a flat as well :)

EXPENSIVEEEEE, but worth it!

No comments:

Post a Comment